- Benchmarking synthesis of technology and esthetics
- Best drag coefficient in its class
- New equipment concept with sport and design selection
Kuwait, March 15, 2016 – The new-generation Audi A4 is a fascinating synthesis of technology and esthetics. All the technology in the brand’s bestselling family has been redeveloped so that it yet again defines the benchmark in the segment. During the development work, high priority was placed on the reduction of CO2 emissions. All technologies were focused on reducing drive resistance. The new Audi A4 has just arrived in Kuwait at Fouad Alghanim & Sons Automotive Company showroom, the exclusive dealer of Audi in Kuwait.
A good example is aerodynamics: The A4 Sedan has the best drag coefficient in its class at 0.23. The new models also have impressively low CO2 emissions. The most powerful engine for the Middle East will be a four-cylinder unit with 252 hp, S-tronic and quattro wheel drive. Driver assistance systems and infotainment are of luxury quality. A new generation of four-cylinder TFSI engines with newly developed combustion methods sets benchmarks in terms of fuel consumption, emissions and performance for four-cylinder gasoline engines. Expected arrival date for the the A4 Sedan in the region is first quarter of 2016. Three different TFSI models will be on offer: 35 TFSI with 150 hp (1.4 engine), 40 TFSI with 190 hp (2.0 engine) and the top of the range engine 45 TFSI with 252 hp (2.0 engine).
At 4.73 meters long and with a wheelbase of 2.82 meters – the new Audi A4 has a confident stance on the road. A prominent horizontal line on the front and rear emphasizes the car’s width. The flowing design with concise lines communicates the sporty elegance of the brand. The Singleframe grille is wide and low; the optionally available headlights in LED and Matrix LED technology (including dynamic turn indicators) make technology a visual trademark.
Up to 120 kilograms lighter
Compared with the previous model, the car’s dimensions have grown but its weight has been reduced significantly – by up to 120 kilograms, depending on the engine. The body of the new Audi models is one of the lightest in its class thanks to an intelligent material mix and lightweight construction.
The Audi A4 is a leader in its class also in terms of noise levels. All occupants enjoy generous space; the smooth lines emphasize the width of the interior. The front of the dashboard features a broad band of air outlets and a large decorative surface. At night, optional discreet contour lighting illuminates the doors and the central console. The quality of workmanship is uncompromisingly high. Colors and materials follow a new line concept allowing customers even more freedom during configuration.
Information and fascination: the Audi virtual cockpit and MMI
The new model offers an abundance of intelligent technologies, the use of which is even more intuitive with the new Audi MMI display and control concept. Technological highlights of the new A4 include the Audi virtual cockpit, the Audi Matrix LED headlights, the Audi smartphone interface, the Bang & Olufsen Sound System with 3D sound, the Audi phone box with wireless charging, the head-up display and new driver assistance systems like the parking assist, rear cross-traffic assist, exit warning, collision avoidance assist, turn assist and the Audi pre-sense systems. .
The focus here is on two innovations. The optional Audi virtual cockpit, a fully digital combination instrument, features a 12.3-inch LCD screen that displays the most important information in brilliant high-resolution graphics, with great detail and sophisticated effects.
The MMI control concept in the center console is also a newly designed feature and acts as the main control element. The top-end infotainment system, MMI Navigation plus with MMI touch and a large 8.3-inch monitor, has a touchpad in the rotary controller to zoom in and out and to enter characters. The entire MMI control logic is similar to that of a smartphone and includes an intelligent free-text search function. The new, more natural, voice-control system also understands input in normal everyday language, such as “I want to call Peter Miller.”
Concentrated computing power
MMI Navigation plus is backed by the computing power of the second-generation modular infotainment platform, which allows Audi to bring consumer electronics innovations into the vehicle quickly.
The Audi smartphone interface is a new feature. It integrates iOS and Android mobile phones into an environment developed especially for this purpose – Audi MMI. The Audi phone box connects smartphones to the on-board antenna and charges them inductively according to the Qi standard. For discerning hi-fi fans, the Bang & Olufsen Sound System with innovative 3D sound is available, which introduces the additional dimension of height. The new Audi tablet can also be used as flexible rear seat entertainment.
Powerful four-cylinder engines
The new Audi A4 will be launched in the Middle East with three TFSI engines. Their power output has increased significantly and ranges from 150 hp to 252 hp, but fuel consumption has been reduced by up to 21 percent. All the engines combine high efficiency with sporty power delivery and smoothness.
The new Audi A4 has a groundbreaking innovation for the gasoline engines: The 2.0 TFSI ultra with 190 hp uses an absolutely new combustion method that makes it especially efficient and allows fuel consumption of 4.8 liters per 100 km and CO2 emissions of 109 g/km.
S tronic transmission
The powertrain and the chassis of the new Audi A4 has been completely redeveloped. The seven-gear S tronic (now also available for front-wheel drive) has been redesigned; the automatic transmission now offers a fuel-saving freewheeling function. Wheel-selective torque control supplements the work of the front-wheel drive and the quattro drive.
The handling of new A4 makes a great leap forward: on the one hand sporty and performance oriented, but with a focus on comfort at the same time. The suspension and steering filter out disturbances such as an uneven road surface, but communicate to the driver important information such as increases in lateral forces and tracking. This performance is based on the redeveloped five-link axles and the electromechanical power steering – they are exceptionally light. They lay the foundation for dynamic handling and first-class ride comfort while also reducing fuel consumption. Additional options are dynamic steering, which varies its ratio according to the car’s speed and the steering angle, and suspension with adjustable shock absorbers with which the driver can for the first time select between two settings: sports or comfort. Both of suspension settings are included in the Audi drive select driving-dynamics system, which is standard equipment for models with engines 190 hp and above.
Widest range in its class: driver assistance and safety systems
The Audi A4 sets the benchmark in its class with numerous driver assistance systems. Audi active lane assist helps drivers to stay in lane and the Stop&Go adaptive cruise control including traffic-jam assist eases driving in slow-moving traffic. One special feature of traffic-jam assist is its control strategy. It takes into account a large number of parameters such as road markings and the traffic ahead. Some more innovations that make important contributions to safety are parking assist, rear cross-traffic assist, exit warning, collision avoidance assist, turn assist and the Audi pre-sense systems.
The new Audi A4 will be available from dealerships in the region as of first quarter 2016. Its standard equipment is even more comprehensive than that of its predecessor. It includes xenon headlights, keyless go, a Bluetooth interface, Audi drive select and a 7-inch MMI color display.
At a glance
The new Audi A4
Exterior design and body
- Athletic proportions and sporty elegance;
- 4.73 meters long, 2.82-meter wheelbase, 1.84 meters wide, 1.43 meters high
- Optional LED headlights and matrix LED headlights with dynamic turn indicators
- Light body: weight reduced by up to 15 kilograms compared with the previous model
- Best drag coefficient in its class: 0.23 for the Sedan; aeroacoustics ensure peace and quiet on board
- The longest interior and greatest shoulder width at the front compared with competitors
- Interior design with large decorative surfaces and continuous air vent strip; new colors and materials, spacious interior, LED interior lighting as standard equipment, first-class workmanship
- Largest range of lightweight seats amongst the premium competitors
- Automatic climate control with a new interface
- Optional LED interior lighting packages with color-adjustable ambient lighting
- New equipment concept with sport and design selection – for the first time with exterior differentiation
- Optionally available: head-up display and Audi virtual cockpit
- Completely redesigned MMI operating concept including free-text search function
- Can also be operated by multifunction steering wheel and natural-language voice control
- Optional top-end infotainment system MMI Navigation plus with MMI touch and an 8.3-inch MMI monitor including Audi phone box with inductive charging
- Audi smartphone interface for connecting Apple and Android phones
- Bang & Olufsen Sound System with innovative 3D sound and Audi tablet as mobile rear-seat entertainment
- Three TFSI engines at market launch, 150 hp to 252 hp, up to 25 percent more power
- Fuel consumption reduced by up to 21 percent
- Economical 1.4 TFSI with 4.9 liters per 100 km and 114 grams CO2 per km
- New generations of the S tronic transmission. S tronic in A4 for front-wheel drive for the first time, automatic transmission with freewheeling function
- Front-wheel drive or quattro drive with wheel-selective torque control
- Redesigned, light five-link axles at front and rear, significant increase in comfort with accentuated sportiness
- Newly developed electromechanical power steering, with dynamic steering on request
- Audi drive select dynamic driving system standard as of 190 hp, suspension with adjustable shock absorbers available as an option
Driver assistance systems and integrated safety
- Stop&Go adaptive cruise control including traffic-jam assist for slow-moving traffic
- Audi active lane assist and Audi side assist
- New: parking assist, rear cross-traffic assist, exit warning, turn assist, collision avoidance assist
- New safety systems: Audi pre sense city, basic and rear